Work Related Expenses
With $18 billion in work-related expenses (WREs) being claimed each year, the ATO says that it will focus on occupations with a pattern of large or rising claims, as well as claims which do not fit the pattern for a particular occupation.
What’s new this year?
This year the ATO is writing to around 218,000 people employed in the following occupations:
- building construction project managers and supervisors;
- building construction labourers; and
- sales and marketing managers.
Travel to work claims
Many building construction labourers drive a vehicle to work each day.
If they can prove they have had to carry bulky equipment then this travel becomes a deductible expense, as long as:
- they can verify that their employer requires them to carry such equipment as part of their job; and
- there is no alternative storage solution at the workplace. If the employer does provide secure storage, then no deduction.