The ATO has been working on ways to deliver a simpler business activity statement (BAS) to simplify account set-up, record keeping, BAS preparation and lodgment for agents and their clients, and make it less costly.
To achieve this, several GST labels will be removed from the BAS, with small businesses only required to report:
- GST on sales (1A);
- GST on purchases (1B); and
- Total sales (G1).
They will begin user testing from 1 July 2016 and a simpler BAS should be the standard option for all small business from 1 July 2017.
- Overtime Meal Allowance Amounts
- Cents per km deduction rate for motor vehicle expenses
- The 'sharing economy' in the ATO's sights
- Tax time is prime time for scams
- ATO warns about iTunes scammers
- ATO reminder about 30 June SuperStream deadline
- New Simpler BAS on the way
- ATO's continuing focus on trust property developers
- SMSFs and Collectables – last opportunity to comply!
- Contractor payments data matching program