The ATO, supported by NSW and Federal Police, has made surprise visits to over a dozen sites across Sydney as part of an investigation into potentially fraudulent phoenix activity.
Recent figures show that phoenix activity costs the Australian economy up to $3.2 billion each year.
Honest businesses suffer the most, losing almost $2 billion in unpaid debts and the non-supply of purchased goods and services.
The ATO said that, if a member of the public has any knowledge or concerns about companies that may be exhibiting phoenix behaviour, they can report it online at ato.gov.au/reportaconcern or by calling 1800 060 062.
- Overtime Meal Allowance Amounts
- Cents per km deduction rate for motor vehicle expenses
- The 'sharing economy' in the ATO's sights
- Tax time is prime time for scams
- ATO warns about iTunes scammers
- ATO reminder about 30 June SuperStream deadline
- New Simpler BAS on the way
- ATO's continuing focus on trust property developers
- SMSFs and Collectables – last opportunity to comply!
- Contractor payments data matching program